Saturday, August 09, 2008

Swing Vote!

I vote it a winner, though it opened disappointingly at the box office last week. Full disclosure: I am a Kevin Costner fan, albeit not as much of a one lately. However, this movie brings me right back into the fold. It's a lovely political morality tale in that it highlights the two major parties attempts to kowtow to various "demographics" instead of standing for beliefs. It also takes shots at those in the electorate that do not vote . . . while some have called the final speech in the movie sermonizing, I found it stirring.

Costner and Madeline Carroll, as his very together 12-year-old daughter, unflinchingly portray the intense relationship between children and alcoholic parents. Well done for both actors.

I really did enjoy this movie.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I don't think it'll get a release here. No sign of it in any of the "Coming Soon"s that I've checked. :(
DVD only I suspect.
I've see the trailer and it looks okay.

Shirl said...

it's quite "american-centric" so i can see where it might not go wide.

I think it was something like a 6 million opening. Poor Kevin. He financed this one