Thursday, March 20, 2008

Notes from PT

Today was a milestone day. I started Physical Therapy. I've had a touch of "arthur-itis" for years. I've been able to stave it off with the OTC stuff and with warming stuff, but this last bout in my knee didn't want to mind very well, so I took it to the doctor. He suggested four weeks of PT, and you know, that sounded good. (Plus he gave me some arthur medicine which has helped.) So today I went for my evaluation.

A couple things I want to keep in mind:

Chairs: Make sure hips are slightly higher than knees. Makes sense, when you think about it.

Make sure hip, knee, and second toe stay in alignment. This one I have to think about.

Hurrah for MSU winning their game this afternoon, I got to see most of it. And I just saw Duke survive a very close one!

Go Green!

5 comments:

Julie said...

I get it in my hip. That hip/knee/toe thing might be useful.

kitteh pundd it said...

ah, cool, no riot tonight.

i need to schedule pt dates. 3 a week for 4 weeks. been waiting for the cortisone on nerve roots (last week and next week). so now i can make appts and (prolly) not have to cancel them.

Shirl said...

the alignment thing might help, Julie. Also two of the five home exercises include hip.

No riot whew! I want us to go another, kim. I hear you on the need for pain relief first before PT. Yikes!

Sudeaux Lux said...

Oh, Shirl. I bet you've been hurting something awful. I've got osteoarthritis in my spine, hip, and knees so I can certainly relate. I take super duper pain meds as it is on a pain management program but I want it to go away, not just manage the problems I have, ya know? Please let us know how the pt goes. The home exercises sound fantastic. Sure hope it helps you-- and fast!

Shirl said...

oh i think the meds are so important to get the pain down. Wow. spine, hips, and knees, that's too much.

Just the chair thing has relieved a lot of pain. The exercises feel like they are strenghthening my legs, and I have been soooo much more comfortable this weekend.

7:00 a.m. Tuesday the REAL workouts begin!