Monday, May 13, 2013

Burnout Means look for Change

As I've been looking  at different articles about burnout, I realize that it sure is a common issue.   Most burnout is job-related (check).  I have worked at the business I work at for 35 years come August.  In that time we have had five different owners/owner teams.  There has been change at each of these changes of teams, and I have always been able to adapt (one of my strong skills).  However, the last change that occurred  on April 1, 2012 (too funny, eh?) has been the killer.  Our owner, who is approaching retirement age (he is three years older than me) brought in a new second in command.  This young man is 28, graduated in Hospitality, and was chosen by the boss because he is a good friend from church.  The kid is arrogant as all get out, knows everything, has no innate curiosity, and takes credit for all good things that happen (including the weather).  Ostensibly he is sales and marketing manager, but in truth he is the little dictator.  Argh.

Okay, that is enough fussing for now.  I am on vacation.  Most articles on burnout suggest changing jobs.  Retirement age is coming up, and while I had always assumed I would go to 65, the times, they are a changing.

From Psychology Today.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/burnout

Burnout is not a simple result of long hours. The cynicism, depression, and lethargy of burnout can occur when you're not in control of how you carry out your job, when you're working toward goals that don't resonate with you, and when you lack social support. If you don't tailor your responsibilities to match your true calling, or at least take a break once in a while, you could face a mountain of mental and physical health problems

No comments: