Tuesday, April 08, 2008

PT report

Last month I started Physical therapy on my right knee for "arthur-itis". The goal is to build up the leg muscles both above and below the knee so that they support the knee and keep it from shifting too much. I PT three times a week, and do home exercises. Things are going well! I haven't had any "arthur-itis" medicine since last Wednesday, and I spent two hours in the yard Saturday and two on Sunday doing work. When I went to the doctor it was almost too painful to walk to the mailbox, let alone haul rocks from the field for my stone pile. I am grateful.

The one part of PT I'm not sure about is the EMS treatment. The VMO muscle is hard to exercise, so a current is run through part of the leg, stimulating that muscle. That was started last Friday, and yesterday's session left me in pain for most of the day, which I think is a bit excessive. I need to say something to the PT tomorrow, doncha think?

3 comments:

Sudeaux Lux said...

Been waiting to hear about your progress... And yes, definitely say something about that pain and see if that's to be expected. I'm glad about the progress you've made. I really need to do some knee exercises, too, to build up muscle like you are. I told my neighbor yesterday that I'm not going to be able to putz around in the flower beds this year. =(

It doesn't mention anything about hurting in treatment in that EMS link. Keep up the good work. Soon you'll be plowing all the fields in the neighborhood!

Julie said...

I'd be saying something, for sure. Glad it's working, that's good news.

Shirl said...

oh no, not putz in the flower beds??? Awww. But you've got the A in your hips too, Susan, and that has to be so painful.

I should say something, but it's Wednesday morning now, and I bet I don't! We shall see!