Friday, November 28, 2008

And a Happy Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Good Day to you!

Hello there!

The U.S. Thanksgiving is past now. *sigh* It's such a sweet holiday. I was expecting twelve for dinner. However, Wednesday night I became violently ill. It was one of those cases . . . well let me spare you the details. I was able to get a phone call out to my youngest brother. The darling said: "Worry no more." He was out in a half-an-hour with a jug of gatorade, and took the turkeys and stuff I had and said, "We'll take care of it." He and his wife are just the best. He called everyone and told them to come to his place, and they made not only the dishes they had planned but cooked the turkey, potatoes and stuffing. Wow.

I slept and pepto-bismoed and drank the gatorade. I had soup for Thanksgiving, but was able to join the tribe after the dinner. (And I did snitch a couple of pieces of turkey, so that was good.)

We play the Night Before Christmas Game both on Thanksgiving and on Christmas. Each person receives a small wrapped present, then the Night Before Christmas is read. Everytime the word "and" is said, the presents are passed. The gift you hold at the end is yours to keep.

Well, my sister-in-law's brother was with us, as he is living with them this year. He has Down's Syndrome. We included him in the game, not realizing how traumatic it was going to be for him. He fixated on that purple present he started with, and didn't want to give it up. Oh my. We finally got through the passing, and the person who ended up with the purple present was quick to trade with him. Whew. Crisis averted.

The nice thing about having the dinner at my brother's house was that we were able to watch the Spartans play Maryland in basketball. The bad thing about having the dinner at my brother's house was that we were able to watch the Spartans suck. Ewwww.

And how is your week progressing?

1 comment:

Gail said...

That's awful that you got ill at the last minute - but what a terrific save from your brother and family. I love the idea of the Night Before Christmas Game. Sounds like a lot of fun. We just get together (about 20 of us or so), eat turkey and gab all afternoon/evening.