Saturday, January 17, 2009

Been a long time since I did THAT

So I was out and about today, braving the cold and the snowy streets, and stopped into the mall's B&N. I know, I know, local booksellers are better, but B&N is the only bookstore that has SomersetLife, a crafting quarterly that I enjoy. So I picked up that magazine and a couple of others, paid for them, and started for the exit.

Well, a book caught my eye. HeartSick. It was a murder mystery, and it promised a Hannibal Lector type story. That is so not my style. But I picked the book up and continued down the aisle. Drat! The big easy reading chairs were both open by the exit, so I sat down for a minute to read a few pages of the book. Two hours later I left, having read most of the book. Bad me, but I do spend an inordinate amount of my paycheck at bookstores, and they do have those dang comfy chairs. Hmmm.

Okay, should I have bought the book?

7 comments:

Sudeaux Lux said...

Of course you should have! For whatever reason, perhaps unknown to you as yet, that book was in your path, caught your eye, and insisted on being read. You were doing what you were supposed to do, where you should be doing it. ;)

Anonymous said...

The B&N stores near me don't have big comfy chairs! I figure they don't want customers doing what you did. Maybe it's a marketing strategy depending on population. It's so urban and dense here that if people got too settled no one would get in the store. :)

And nah, it's best you didn't buy the book. Use the money for craft supplies.

Shirl said...

hey thanks, Susan and Kathryn! Our B&N's comfy chairs are usually taken (there are three) but the weather outside was frightful. I was just so surprised to sit for so long! *grin*
Craft supplies. Yum.

Martha said...

No, ask if your local library can order it instead, and then other people can enjoy it too!
But how will you wait so long to know the ending?

quantumtea said...

Our local Borders had a discount program a while back, if you were "caught" reading in the store they gave you 25% off!

Go back and get the book another day if you think you'll read it more than once.

Shirl said...

Well, um . . . I finished it, so I do know how it ends. *sigh*

Well, now that's an interesting turn of events, Ali.

I'm just torn. I don't need the book now. It's not my genre, so I probably won't read the sequel or the prequel. Hmmm. What to do.

Julie said...

If you've read it, no need to buy it now. Spend the money at a local, independent bookshop instead.