Saturday, December 08, 2007

Perfect New Business in Town

Saturday I went to Old Town to shoot pictures of the "Dickens" Christmas. I also had another objective in mind: checking out Perspectives2, a photography studio site where you can rent the studios. I had heard about it from a couple of sources, and wanted to see it for myself. They are very friendly, took visitors for a tour, and the upshot is that I signed up for six months and attended a class on Monday night on how to digitally take pictures of old pictures. Two most helpful hints: 1) place old photograph on black surface (black velvet works best); 2) for shooting negatives, process in Photoshop and hit inverse. Magic. The instructor was pushing Picasa also as a great free tool.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Woah, this sounds like you're getting serious!
I have Picasa - limited but easy to use and that's always my main criterion! :) I use it mainly to upload pics from my computer (non-flickr pics) to my blog.

Shirl said...

me serious??? not at all *grin* But I've always been fascinated by studio lighting techniques. I don't have Diane's skill and patience to find substitutes, I need someone to help me. I thought from the ads that this was just for professionals, but it really isn't. Yay.

I have photoshop for at work, but need to know more. Free class on Tuesday. Yay!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun! Thanks for the two tips on photographing photos! I had a bit of black velvet at one time but I think it must have ended up in the goodwill bag. Darn me!

Good luck and have fun!

Shirl said...

apparently that black velvet just eats up light. I didn't know.

Key word fun. That's why I did sign up. The owners take their photography seriously, but accept that some of us are just playing. and that's a good thing.

YOU, on the other hand, could probably teach the dang photoshop classes.

3rd daughter said...

picasa is my choice for uploading pics from my camera to the computer. tis also great for cropping, straightening, brightening and sharpening.