Saturday, January 05, 2008

Charlie Wilson's War

Saw it last night. I went into it unprepared. I was looking for a movie that was short. I know, I know, bad reason to pick a movie, but the roads are still icy and I wanted to be home at a reasonable hour. I knew the movie starred Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts, but that wasn't a real draw. I mean, they're Hollywood darlings, and sometimes that can be kind of boring. (sheesh, i didn't realize I had a bit of rebellious streak in picking favorite actors and actresses.) Anyway, the movie has won five Golden Globe nominations, for picture, Hanks, Roberts, Philip Seymour wazziz name (and dang, is he good), and script (Aaron Sorkin, based on a biography of Charlie Wilson).

The movie's Golden Globe nomination comes in the Comedy/Musical category. That is a misnomer. The movie is funny, but is probably the most thought-provoking movie I've seen in recent years. If you get a chance, go see it!

8 comments:

Shirl said...

testing

Zoooma said...

When I heard it called a comedy, I was like -- whaaaaa???? Comedies shouldn't be about serious matters nor be very thought-provoking methinks.

Julie said...

Hanks and Roberts - neither are faves of mine. Probably won't see it, maybe on DVD at a later date.

Shirl said...

I was surprised that it was in that category, zooomabooma. It is paced like a comedy, but . . .

You would find this one interesting, Julie. DVD will work also.

3rd daughter said...

saw a preview on new years day when i went to see 'the darjeeling' (great film). i have a freebie to see CWW next week! i was dithering but with your recommendation, i'll be there :)

Shirl said...

oh i hope you enjoy it, Susan! I had dithered on it too, so hopefully you'll have the same reaction.

Sudeaux Lux said...

Someone had downloaded this movie online and I saved the link to watch when I could get the time. Now I will have to watch it. It's an amazing story what this politician did with some help.

I watched Sweeney Todd online last week. The viewing area wasn't very large but it was still very good, when you consider the price. =P

Shirl said...

Sweeney Todd scared my brother on the big screen, so I bet the smaller screen would be a better fit. Hope you like Charlie!