Friday, January 11, 2008

those January blues

Hi there. I suppose you notice I haven't been blogging much this week. I've always tried to keep the blog a cheerful place, and this week just hasn't been the cheeriest.

I've dreaded the 56th birthday thing. My dad died of a massive heart attack 16 days after his 56th birthday. He had a January birthday also. Our initials are the same, and I've always identified with Dad a lot. I'm shaped like his side of the family. His 56th birthday was on a Thursday, so is mine. You kinda get the drift. Dark thoughts. Sad thoughts. A bit of a depression running. However, it is a depression that can be worked through, and should start to abate in about a week, getting much better by February's approach. Also, a few sunny days wouldn't hurt.

So, the month started sad, and has taken a turn for the worse, as lay-offs and cut-backs hit with a vengeance at work this week. Five on lay-off, cutbacks in hours for another four. Sheesh. If you've heard that Michigan's economy is in the toilet . . . you've heard correctly. We were doing find until October, when the combination of the shutdown of the State for a weekend and a GM strike just seemed to tear the heart out of things.

So I've been trying to fun things to blog about, but it has been a tough battle. Maybe now that I've blogged this I can get past the block and the depression. Thanks for listening!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally spaced out and forgot January 3rd. A belated happy birthday.

But it can be tough to have a birthday in the middle of winter, right after the holidays, and it sounds like this one feels heavier than usual. Sending some warm fuzzy thoughts your way...

Sudeaux Lux said...

Oh my dear. I felt your were blue and I'm so glad you can share your personal feelings with us here. It IS a hard time of the year for many and with your history I can see how you would be down. Just know that this is your safe place and we have nothing but love and support for you and are just itching to demonstrate it. Much love to you, dear friend.

Shirl said...

Thanks, Kathryn. You've been a little busy *smile*

Thanks, Susan, I could tell with your popping in comment that you were concerned and thank you for your care. I think it did a world of good to get it down here in this kind space, look at the feelings, and then get them back in proportion. You helped so much.

Julie said...

Susan has said it better than I ever could.
Hang in there Shirl, the only way is up.
We're here for you, you know that.
You have to make it to at least 59 - for The Big Visit.

Shirl said...

thank you Julie *grin* I shirley wouldn't want to miss that!

and it really did help to write it down, i think. Today felt like a turning point, I went to Lake Michigan, took photos, walked out to the lighthouse without falling in (was I tempting fate? oh i hope not), got lost severely, and in general . . . didn't dwell on the negative!

Love you all!

Julie said...

But there's no flickr :(
I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow to see the pics.
I'm finding more and more that if i'm feeling down I just pick up the camera and go snap some stuff. Completely takes my mind to another place.

Anonymous said...

Aaaawwww *hugs* I hope you're feeling more up now. It's been rough for quite a few people I know, so i hope it will pick up now for you. :)

Happy B-day ;)

Anonymous said...

Hiya Shirl,
Sometimes it's hard to share our thoughts and feelings when we're feeling blue but I think it's something we all can relate to. When I read about your birthday thoughts, I totally related because both my mom and dad died at age 56 and I've said I don't want to outlive them. It has affected my thoughts.

Winter, we have a long way to go, too soon for a yooper to get cabin fever. I'm trying to enjoy the weather, tho it was wicked cold and is also snowing again today. Should look pretty out there tomorrow.

Sorry I was so slow to get in and wish you a happy birthday, we had Travis for a whole week while his mom was doing some job training in Milwaukee. He was supposed to go to school four days, but only went 2-1/2 because of snow days so we were busy!

Hope you had a happy birthday and will have a very good year!

Shirl said...

thanks, julie and onyx and kim!

Cameras do help to take us "out" of our moods, I think.

Onyx, you've sure had a January. How are you feeling?

Kim, thanks for your understanding. As of last Saturday, I have lived longer than my father did. The 56 thing had bugged me, but now . . . it's on to the next milestone!!!