Sunday, November 25, 2007

Black Friday

I didn't think I was going to do it this year. I was a bit tired from the Thanksgiving preparations, and my leg is still bothering me from the fall. But brother Boo called Thursday and said, "are you going?" And niece Violet asked at the dinner if I was going. What can an old aunt do?

So Boo called at 3:37 a.m. Friday morning and we rolled out. Three cars converged from three different directions at the mall. We've never done mall stores first, but Jacques Penet was open at 4, so that was the first hit. It was so busy, with such long lines wending through the store, that Opal left her pile of stuff for later. We then got in line at Old Navy. They were giving MP3 players with $20 purchase. They finally came out and gave wristbands, which eased that line. Boo and two of the girls went to get in line for the Mall goodie bags. Violet and Glory got the best of that deal, with gift cards, freebies and other good stuff.

We left the mall about 7:30 a.m. and stopped for breakfast. Ruby had to work at the pharmacy at 9:00, so Boo dropped her off. We continued to Target, and found some more good deals. By then, old auntee was getting kind of pooped, so I bid the merry crew good-bye and came back for naps and clean-up before heading to my mother's for the evening's get-together. One of Boo's girls had been up for 24 hours before she quit. Yikes!

The economy, while nasty here in our one-state depression thingee, can't stop the shoppers. It looked to me as if the post Thanksgiving turn-out was strong. I suspect that's a good thing.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I've been meaning to ask about how the state's finances were going. What is this Black Friday?

Shirl said...

The State closed down for about 8 hours at the end of October, then compromises were signed. However, here we are in the last week of November, and they're still hammering out the details of the compromises. Idiotic legislators and governor.

Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving, a huge marketing day in the USA

Diane and Jack said...

they are still working it out?! *geesh*,

As for the Black Friday - you are brave Shirl, I have never done it. Maybe I should try it one year..(lol) It sounds like it is more fun with a group. ;)

Shirl said...

definitely go with a gang, Diane! It's never really about the sales with us, we just have fun hanging out.

Whew. Another disaster is diverted, I do believe, on the state level. Yikes!