Sunday, May 20, 2007

Catching up!

Even though I had planned a busy vacation, I had saved some time for internetting. Alas, 'twas not to be. Friday morning my computer died. So, Friday afternoon I purchased a laptop, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Today I picked it up . . . no wait, that would be yesterday, as we are already on Sunday. I'm breaking it in now. (Or maybe it is me that is breaking . . . bear with the typos, please!)

I've been working with my flower beds. There is the wall garden bed, the tractor tire bed, the glad bed, the pea patch, and the lilac bed. This doesn't include the beds Great-Grandma Alty started oh so many years ago. It was Alty and Oscar who built this farm back in '08.

It is typical for farm gardens to have gladiola. I knew I had to have them when I found two varieties, one named MY LOVE and one named OSCAR. Seemed perfect for the founding parents of the farm. (Also, they are red/white and red, Alty's favorite color.)

The tractor tire bed is made out of an old tractor tire with dirt and a flag pole in the middle of it. (Those of you of a certain age and heritage will know what I'm talking about.) That bed is the Cana bed.

The Wall garden has been a toughie. Carol and Mom and my sister have all contributed to it. Some of the plants were a little shocked on their transplant. I'm anxious to see how that works out.

The lilac bed is under the old lilac in the back yard, and includes tulips, iris, and some bulbs I just planted that my sister calls peacock orchids. We'll see.

The pea patch is . . . peas! Looks like the bunnies have found it, so I put up the chicken wire this week.

Like the ditz I am, I invited 8 people from work and their spouses, friends, enemies or whatever for sancwiches and shuffleboard Monday night. No rest for the wicked, I guess.

And how is your weekend going?

4 comments:

Julie said...

Busy bee you! It's going to be pretty colourful when all these plants grow up. :)
Shame about the computer, but laptops are so handy. Only one typo that I can see - well done! Mine's a Toshiba, what's yours?

My mum grows gladdies. They always make me think of Dame Edna.

Welcome back. I missed you.

Shirl said...

good to be back! and you mean you've never heard of sancwiches????

Julie said...

Not in general conversation, no.

Shirl said...

oh, and mine is a Compaq, I've always had them