Sunday, May 20, 2007

When I Was a Little Girl

wheniwasalittlegirl
I lived in a house that had a "horse tree" in the side yard. It was really more bush than tree, and little kids could get into it and play. There was a doorway, with a little cubby above it where you could hide berries and leaves. There was an arm that you could sit on and ride, hence the "horse" tree. There was a branch going straight up in the middle, like a fireman's pole.

Now I am an old girl, and at the south end of the corn crib is a huge trumpet vine that is tree-like. It has branches and swirls, and a perfect place to tuck a pot of geraniums. As I secured the pot I was drawn to remembrances of that earlier tree. What we see and feel as little ones has such an impact.

4 comments:

Diane and Jack said...

What a beautiful post Shirl, sounds like a memory to cherish. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love how this new home is giving you new dimensions to explore!

Julie said...

Aww, that's sweet. A laugh and a warm 'n' fuzzy - great start to my day. :)

Shirl said...

Thanks, Diane and Kathryn and Julie. This was a fun memory, just came full-blown as I was placing the pot. Life is good.