Monday, May 21, 2007

Peas, peas, eating all those peas

We've had a lot of laughs at work about my "pea patch". It's a very tiny patch. Last year it looked as if maybe a couple of moles had dug it. This year it has expanded, and looks as if a family of moles has been working on it.

One of the joke gifts I got from the office was a pea pitcher, with a recipe for pea salad on it. Today I had the office out for supper, and dadgum if that recipe wasn't mighty good.

10 oz bag frozen peas, thawed or 2 cups fresh shelled peas, cooked for about 4 minutes
1 c. cubed cheddar cheese
2 hard cooked eggs, chopped
1/4 c. celery, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
2 T. pimento, chopped

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp saltI
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce

2 med tomatoes, chopped
1/4 lb bacon, chopped and crumbled.

Combine first six items in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the next five ingredients. Add to the large bowl and toss to cover. Chill several hours or overnight.

Before serving, sprinkle bacon and tomatoes over top.

It turned out ask for more good!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Gotta use fresh peas. The frozen ones just sren't quite right. We buy the snow peas, sugar snaps and other "baby" types - don't even have to shell them. Just eat 'em raw most of the time.

Shirl said...

we don't have fresh right now. *sigh* but the salad still made a hit!

Andi said...

I am excited about this recipe.

Andi said...

How many does this recipe serve?

Shirl said...

let's see. This recipe serves six. I doubled it for my party. I hope you like it too, bluest!

Andi said...

Ah...I ended up doubling it when I made it for 4...so, I guess that's leftovers for my husband & I.

I used a thick shredded cheddar cheese & added it with the last ingredients...I don't think the cheese will get soggy in the fridge like finely shredded would.

Everyone really liked it. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. :-)