Sunday, April 22, 2007

Building a Wall

Mom and I were sitting on the back porch last spring. The view is the yards, the barns, and a gray wall on the barn bridge. Mom said, "That gray wall needs dressing up somehow."

"Yep," I replied. So I thought. And I put a couple of planter boxes atop the wall with sunflower seeds. Looked kind of dorky, but it was something to do, and added some greenery to the wall. Well, it added greenery until some thing (deer or woodchuck or maybe both) ate the sunflowers.

buildingawall

As I thought some more, I thought it would be cool to have a flower bed by that old gray wall. I wanted it to be a defined bed, though, because we have a lawnmower guy and I didn't want it to be hard to mow around. I was telling my friend Carol this one day, and she said, "Oh, I know how to make the retaining walls, I'll help you!"

Wow. I have such good friends, both on the internet and off. This weekend Carol met me with her 1/2-ton pick-up to pick up the blocks for the retaining wall. She drove them out to the farm, and then patiently showed me how to set the first row of blocks so that the wall would be level in all directions. (She actually set most of the bricks.) What a friend.

thewall


Now I just have to figure out what to plant that the deer and woodchucks won't eat.

5 comments:

Julie said...

How industrious you've been. If it were me I'd put in a herb garden, or stuff with lots of colour.

Sudeaux Lux said...

She is a dear friend to help you so much. So many possibilities when you your own land and the wall is already looking quite stately.

Shirl said...

Herbs tend to be not so colourful, I think, Julie, so I'm going with lots of white and yellow. I think. The herbs are going out behind the chicken coop.

She is such a good friend, Susan, and so very patient with a dufus like me. Plus . . . she had the truck. Wow! I'm having a great time playing.

Julie said...

Yeah I know herbs tend to be just green but they're soooo useful.

Shirl said...

veddy useful. That's why they are going in their own place. And now I've switched colour schemes (again). Pink white and purple for the wall fence.