Friday, October 19, 2007

Here I am

Last night I had dinner at the R Club with a friend. Every time we eat there we have nasty windy weather. I got home, lay on the couch watching TV, and the storm reports started showing on TV. Yikes. Tornados and high winds, two separate batches passing over us.

I dozed off, and woke about 11, not feeling well. Oh great. The next two-and-a-half hours were spent in and out of the bathroom. The tornado warnings were still sounding, but if one were to hit during that period, I guess the toilet and I would have blown away. Yuck.

So I didn't go to work today. But I'm up now. I've had some diet rootbeer as I'm out of Vernors. (If you're from Michigan, you probably know someone who believes in Vernors Ginger Ale as the cure-all for all tummy problems.) I've had some stale potato chips, as I'm out of crackers. And I think I'll survive.

I had one big branch down in the backyard, with more broken but stuck in the tree. I think I need to get the tree-cutters here. Sierra has been on the back porch for an hour-and-a-half, watching the leaves be tossed about by the remnants of the wind. Snuzzles says that is too boring for him, but my little warrior girl cat would love to be stalking today.

And the tornado did touch down on the other side of Lansing. I am so sorry. A couple were killed when their modular home was tossed into a man-made pond. It was their first night in their new home. How terrible.

9 comments:

Julie said...

That's awful about that couple. Glad you're okay though!

I checked the group and you're either a member already or you've been invited to be one. Check your flickr mail to see if the invites still there.

Julie said...

I just checked and you're listed as a member. Shouldn't be private.

Shirl said...

Well, I wonder what the deal is. I'll check again. (That was yesterday, I think that I last looked)

There was a sweet story over near Flint. A baby was missing, but was found. It had been thrown 40 feet from its home.

Julie said...

Let me know - if you still can't get in I'll email the admin.

Thrown 40 feet. Wow. I assume it's okay. Future stunt person.

Diane and Jack said...

that is tragic. I am always worried about the what if one hit this park - what would we do or where would go as there is no provided shelter other than your home.

Hope your feeling better!!

Shirl said...

oh i worry about you too, Diane. Last tornado (two months ago) a park that DOES have a shelter didn't open it for residents. That's awful! Checking now, Julie!

Anonymous said...

i heard that on news as well. and following the tornado news, there is a bombing in a shopping in manila...so many man made and natural disaster. i wonder when will there be the day where the news is on, but they report nothing but, the air is fresh, it's best time to look at the grand nigara falls, misty himalayas or vibrant cherry blossoms.

anyway, glad you are alright there.

Sudeaux Lux said...

Sad story about the couple. It's been pretty scary with these storms lately. I'll bet the cats are comforting in times like these.

I do hope that you're feeling well. Wish Vernor's could make a delivery to you!

I think I've mentioned it before, but Dr Enuf is made in Tennessee and the people here drink it for tummy aches. Kinda cool that we have a regional drink that cures, too!

Get well!

Shirl said...

oh Tien. I know. It's good to find some beauty in life, which we can find thanks to the internet.

That is cool that you have your medicinal drink in your area, Susan. And I am feeling much better today. And MSU almost beat Ohio State.