Friday, March 23, 2007

Day Off

Yesterday I took a personal day. I think the past two weeks had gotten to me. It seemed I couldn't move. It was storming outside. I stayed in bed, sleeping and reading until 3:00 p.m., when my brother called.

Aunt N. had surgery last Friday, and it appeared that she wasn't recovering the way the surgeon had told us she would. I had seen her on Tuesday night, up in intensive care, and she was really out of it, so much that I got scared: what if she died while I was there? I started humming hymns, which tends to comfort me and I thought would comfort her. After the third one, she made a raspberry sound. See, even my humming wasn't helping!!!! (Actually, it was dry mouth, but . . . )meshbagagain

When I saw my brother's name on the caller ID I thought, utoh. Here it is. But it wasn't. Aunt N. is out of ICU, is in a regular room, recognized him, and was getting cranky. And today she is 83 years old. Two weeks ago she told her brother she wouldn't see her next birthday. Ha!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Good news, Shirl. Glad to hear it. Here's to N's 84th.
We call them "mental health days". Everyone should take them resonably regularly. Essential.

(Let's see if this one gets through)

Anonymous said...

hmm...i dunno. i think i finally believe in "what is going to happen will happened and no amount of worrying is going to help". i have seen my father warded into hospital ICU twice for stroke, once for balloon surgery, my mother into hospital for surgery for removal of womb and my aunt who eventually passed away for some sickness which our extended family never explained. personally, i have been through exams and competitions and i might be scared before it happens, but after it happens, i sort of just let it go and concentrate on what i can do, rather than worrying over something which i don't know the chances of happening...

i don't know if you got me, but what i'm going to say is that, instead of worrying about something you're not sure of, why not concentrate on what you can do?

bah. didn't meant to come across as some preachy guy or something. just my thoughts...

Shirl said...

made it through, Julie! It was a good day of rest, and today I dug in my pea patch.

I hear you, tien. And believe it or not, I do much better now just accepting things. Tuesday just freaked me out a little, and that's okay too. (Probably if I had spent more time in the hospital I would be more relaxed. I've only been there for other folks.)

Julie said...

Keep it 'for other folks'.