Sunday, March 11, 2007

Going Home

Friday I got one of those calls you really don't like to get. It was from my cousin: our Aunt N, his dad's and my dad's sister, had been taken to emergency and the outlook wasn't good. Various folks were being notified, and we were going to meet at the hospital later that night.

Aunt N is in her 80's, and a woman of great faith. In her later years, things have troubled her a lot and frustrated her, but when we got to the hospital her spirit was amazing! It was as if she had let go of the trials of earth, and she was so cheerful. She asked after each of us. She told me to enjoy farm life and driving my red car. When she spoke to my youngest brother Boo, she said: I'm going to be seeing your Dad pretty soon. (Our father passed away in 1982.) There was no panic, no fear. It was an amazing experience.

As medical things often go, there is a twist to this story. The original prognosis has been modified, and it may be awhile before Aunt N. sees Dad after all. But whenever the time comes, she's happy to be going home.

2 comments:

Julie said...

As my folks get older I dread such a phone call more and more. Your aunt seems at peace with her situation. I don't pray but here's to her. Cheers.

Shirl said...

Thanks, Julie!