Monday, June 25, 2007

Listening to Josh Groban

Don't give up
It's just the weight of the world
When your heart's heavy
I, I will lift it for you
Don't give up
Because you want to be heard
If silence keeps you
I, I will break it for you
Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don't give up
Because you are loved
Don't give up
It's just the hurt that you hide
When you're lost inside
I, I'll be there to find you
Don't give up
Because you want to burn bright
If darkness blinds you
I, I will shine to guide you
Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don't give up
Because you are loved
You are loved
Aaaah
Don't give up
Its just the weight of the world (You are loved)
Dont give up
Everyone needs to be heard (Dont give up)
You are loved (You are loved - Dont give up)


and crying. It was a year ago that we lost Michelle Goodrich, aka Mandarin meg. Michelle was one of those very rare people: an egalitarian who was interested in everyone's stories. She had an amazing gift for coding and design. I have not found anyone else with her talents on the internet who has been so free to share their crayons.

I used to play a game at my old blog. I'd post a word, one word. People would post their responses. One time I posted "if". Michelle swiped it, and got ever so many more "ifs" at her place. It made me laugh, and pleased that she would steal from me.

Someone has kept her site going this year. If you've never been, go. Check out the design tips. And if your heart is strong, read through the comments. That's where Michelle did her "blogging".

Michelle loved to leave hidden things in her source. She left this for me. I wish I had found it earlier.
"There's a long and winding road that never wearies me, a road I often travel when old friends I wish to see. That road is called Sweet Memory, so old yet ever new. And I oft in fancy wander there to laugh and talk with you"


So when the hummingbirds come and play in the trumpet vine, I think of you, Michelle. And when the poppies came out unexpectedly, I shirley thought of you. And when I see someone standing up for truth and justice and the underdog, you are there, my friend, straight out of Grapes of Wrath.

"If only."

12 comments:

Diane and Jack said...

Every now and then I wander over to her place too. I keep thinking about re-writing that Blog Trashed button she made and change it to blog touched by.

:(

(hugs)

Shirl said...

oh, that would be so absolutely cool, Diane! Please do! I want one!

Diane and Jack said...

It's up for you. ;)

I was going to put it here in the comments but they do not allow div tags.

Anonymous said...

Shirl, I visit her place too. I miss her. I used Diane's Blog touched by Mandarin Meg
But I can't find the dots you mentioned on my blog.

Julie said...

*hugs* to you Shirl.

Sudeaux Lux said...

I imagine it must have been hard for you to write this beautiful tribute about Michelle. I could barely get through reading it without blubbering all over the place. Thanks, Shirl. It's lovely.

fpaynter said...

Thanks Shirl. I've swiped Diane's "blog touched" button too.

Shirl said...

I love it, Diane! That is perfect.

I see you there, Claude! I can't get into your place tonight, but the "dots (and there are six sets of three) are under the block that says "the end" and has some blogger links. The dots that point to your site say: "Quick link to Claude. Thank you for your kind words">... I was looking at her code one day when I found it.

Thank you, Julie. {{{hugs}}}

Thank you, Susan. It was hard to write, but I needed to move forward. Like Diane says over at her place, when Michelle passed it kind of set us all back.

Thank you, Frank. And congratulations!

Sudeaux Lux said...

Diane, I'm borrowing your lovely idea, too. Thanks. This week has been a week of reflection I think we all needed. Blessings...

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for remembering dear Meg. We miss her.

Shirl said...

I think Diane came up with just the perfect tribute . . .

and thank you, stu. I knew you would remember also.

Anonymous said...

I too am sadden by this lost even a year later! I found her site from a link on beautifulbeta. Just as you stated along with her witty approach to sharing such valuable information the connection she had with those that posted actually kept me reading and blog surfing (the blog quilt)instead of designing/coding! Yes she will be missed for more than sharing her talent of coding!