Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Family History

Consider The LilyI've always had it in the back of my head that when I retire I would write a generations novel set in mid-Michigan. One of my reasons for wanting to move to the farm was to soak up atmosphere. That has worked out well, as living daily in a homestead set up 99-years-ago raises questions and provokes thoughts about the past. I can never tell what the trigger might be. For example, my mom checks out my flickr pictures. She really likes this lily one. I explained where I had taken the shot: down the road near the big old oak tree, as I was walking back from the woods.

I could hear her smiling over the telephone. "Those have been there for the longest time," she said. "My folks used to let me walk down there and pick some when we visited Grandma and Grandpa."

When I write that novel, I'm sure there will be a scene with a lonely child walking down to a halfway point between her grandparents and great-grandparents, picking a bouquet of lilies.

5 comments:

Diane and Jack said...

I'll repeat myself and say that it is really cool that you are able to be where you are. To hear the history of a place and yet just walk around and be able to see it, and touch it...
I bet there are days your imagination takes you back as you walk around your place.

Julie said...

Can I have an autographed copy please?

Julie said...

Hope you're feeling better Shirl. *hugs*

Shirl said...

*happy smile* Thanks for sharing the sharing with me, Diane!

And I'll give you a copy of mine if you'll give me a copy of yours, julie!

What wonderful imaginations you two have!

Feeling a bit better tonight, thanks, Julie!

Anonymous said...

What a nice picture. And a nice memory.

Good luck with that book. Retirement sounds good.