Monday, July 30, 2007

Contented Sigh

In May of 2006 I embarked upon a great personal adventure. After years of living in a tiny student apartment I moved to the country, to live in an old farmhouse that had been in the family for 98-years. My mom had had renters, but it was hard to find the right person, and after a particularly bad renter, her manager had kind of pulled back. I got up the gumption to ask: what would you think about me renting it? (It has always been my favorite place in the world, but I tend to keep secrets, I guess. Plus, I thought, a single woman in the country? But then I began to think of all the women who did live out this way, and with the addition of an alarm system, I've always felt incredibly safe here.) And so the adventure began.

The experience has been incredibly positive, other than the horrendous heating bills in winter. My life has expanded in so many ways. I tend my gardens and my projects around home (most of them half finished, but hey) and . . . I have company! I have drop-ins, and I have people I invite. This is way beyond what I was accustomed to, and it has been so great! Tonight twelve folks from work came for an impromptu shuffleboard tournament. I'm probably the goofiest hostess most of them have encountered, but everyone is so kind and I think everyone had a good time.

I can't believe the risks I've been taking and you know, I have to lay a lot of it to blogging. Reading about how others deal with life, how they pick themselves up and keep going, trying new things, has been very inspirational. Life handed me a few knocks in my twenties that I didn't adapt to very well. But it is great to know that even in the 50's, life can change and be changed for the good.

And thank you all for your inspiration!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it when a plan comes together.

Cas

Diane and Jack said...

Having not experienced country living but have been able to enjoy the company when invited, I think despite the hardship living in the country can present sometimes, in the end it is a rewarding experience.

No doubt, your guest had a great time. ;)

Gail said...

It is YOU who are the inspiration, Shirl! I really enjoy reading about your farmhouse adventures and seeing your beautiful photographs of it. It sounds like a wonderful home.

Shirl said...

It sure feels good, cassie! Country living does have its adjustments, Diane, but for me seems to be well worth those adjustments! And we'll get together one of these days!
ah Gail . . . are you SURE you're not Irish? Y'all Rock!

Andi said...

I am glad that life is good for you now. :-)

Shirl said...

thank you, bluest!!!

Gail said...

No, no Irish in me - except when it comes time to celebrate St. Patty's Day. : )

Anonymous said...

It has been such a joy to experience this transition with you vicariously. You've blossomed and seem SO happy. I share the contented sigh. :)

Julie said...

hugs to you Shirl. It made me smile to read this post. :)

Shirl said...

**chuckle** Irish once a year is a good thing, Gail!

Thank you, Kathryn!!! We've had some changes, haven't we. And talk about blossoming . . . can't wait to meet the little one!

Thank you, Julie, my dear longest internet friend. I'm so glad to have met you!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome that you've been able to make that move and you're finding it so satisfying! We were just talking tonight about how hard it can be for a woman alone but you're proof positive for all those articles that say life begins at 50!