Thursday, July 05, 2007

True Foodie

My youngest niece is 13. She invited all of us (her dad's and her mom's families) to a 4th of July party yesterday. She's a real foodie: she organized not only the standard cook-out of burgers, brats, and dogs, but also had shrimp skewers, champagne salad, baked beans, and a flag cake. 091

For her 13th birthday both sides got her food items. She's sort of a baby Rachel Ray. Tuesday night, at the fireworks, I realized just how much of a foodie she is. We were watching someone get arrested as we waited for the traffic jam to ease up. "I wonder what they feed people in jails on holidays," she said.

A true foodie

8 comments:

Diane and Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane and Jack said...

LOL!
She sounds cute...


Could she tell me how to make the champagne salad?

Julie said...

There you go cooking brats and dogs again. Tsk.
There's another flickr pic of a very similar cake-flag that I saw on Explore - but yours is better!

Julie said...

Diane - champagne salad recipe = throw some salad stuff in a bowl, drink champagne.

Diane and Jack said...

lol-Julie. You better be kidding...

Julie said...

Sounds right to me. That's how I'd do it anyway.

Anonymous said...

My youngest son was really into cooking from about 13 on. He made some wonderful foods.

I think it's nice to encourage them.

Cas

Shirl said...

**chuckle**

Champagne salad: has cream cheese, cool whip, pineapple, strawberries, and I don't remember what else. I'll see if I can get the recipe.

With her being 13, Julie's recipe MIGHT not work.

You're right, Cas. And Cas . . . can you shed any light on why Julie can't get into your blog