Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Monarch

I seem to learn things slowly. Take the Monarch butterfly, for instance. A few years ago I learned that this beautiful butterfly likes milkweed. My mother shared this with me as she was coaxing me into helping her transplant some milkweed for the Monarchs and some thistles for the Goldfinches. (What would grandpa have said about transplanting weeds to her garden? One can only wonder.) The caterpillar eats milkweed to make itself unpleasant for predators. A side note: I had only ever known about milkweed pods. I didn't realize they had flowers!

milkweed


Somewhere along the way I also learned that the Monarchs migrate to Mexico each year from the mid and northern United States. That, in itself, is an amazing feat. However, when you consider the life cycle of the Monarch, it becomes downright Magical.

Monarchs generally live about six to eight weeks. The egg stage is about four days, the caterpillar stage is about 14 days, the chrysalis stage is about ten days, and the butterfly stage is about 2-6 weeks.

There are four generations in a year. The first generation returns to the north, and does the eggs/caterpillar/Chrysalis/butterfly thing. Generation two and generation three follow, about every two months. Generation four hatches in September/October, and it is THIS batch that migrates.

Now I wanna know: how DO they know?

noisy monarch with 2 many filters copy

10 comments:

Sudeaux Lux said...

I don't know much about nature and science, but as I get older I really am fascinated by it all. Thanks for a great story on the Monarch. Didn't realize they had such a short life.

Along the lines of the movie, March of the Penguins, perhaps someone could do a Flight of the Monarchs one day?

Julie said...

And I've just learned that your grandpa was a woman. Interesting.

Diane and Jack said...

Interesting reading...
I always thought they only lived for a day.

Anonymous said...

you know something, shirl? i realised that i've been learning something new each time i came to your blog. your blog is like little tidbits of information and when all the posts put together, this is like a hoard of goldmine!

anyway, i enjoy the information i've shared. maybe i should start finding tidbits information on little animals and whatever that comes to mind as well. :D

Julie said...

Hello?

Shirl said...

I bet someone could do a "flight of the Monarchs", Susan! And I agree, natural things seem even more important to me as I get older.

nonononononono, Julie. Read that sentence again. It's American english.

I had no idea of their life cycle, Diane. I was glad to know it!

Why Tien, thank you! I like tidbits, and I'll be interested in the ones you find!

I'm here, I'm here, Julie! Just had a hectic couple of days!!

Julie said...

"What would grandpa have said about transplanting weeds to her garden?" is the sentence. Seems straightforward to me - grandpa is a her.
:)

Shirl said...

oh ok. What would Grandpa have said about Mom transplanting weeds to Mom's garden? will that work?

Julie said...

I kinda knew that's what you meant. But, you know me, couldn't resist. :)

Shirl said...

***sigh***
You're incorrigible, egging me on like that! *grin*